Saturday, June 1, 2013

Gluten Free Gingerbread Pancakes

I've been training for a half marathon, which means after I do a long run, I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!  I'm also told that you have to up your caloric & carb intake like crazy.  2000 calories and 60% of my meals to be carbs.  Well, today was one of those days where I needed the carbs, but I also wanted something.... molasses-y.  So, I found 2 recipes and spliced them to fit my needs, pancakes for 1 person.  :)  Necessity is the mother of invention.  Here it is!

*NOTE 1:  most gluten free mixes and recipes call for ingredients that are potato or white rice flour based which are very similar to white bread while others utilize a lot of oats and not oats are gluten free.  That's the reason why I really like Tammy Credicott's recipes because she uses seed flours, like Teff, to make whole grain gluten free goods.
That being said, please overlook the fact that the recipe does call for quite a bit of ingredients.  I promise that if you do a lot of gluten free baking, then having these flours in store is awesome, as it will produce great pancakes, waffles, scones, biscuits, etc.  I highly recommend her book for perusal.
*NOTE 2: if you have difficulty finding some of these flours, Bob's Red Mill sells all of them, and you can purchase them easily online.

Gluten Free Gingerbread Pancakes
(inspired by Tammy Credicott and Erin McKenna's recipes)
serves 1

scant 1 Tbsp teff flour
1/3 c sorghum flour
1 1/2 Tbsp potato starch
scant 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
small pinch of cardamom
small pinch of nutmeg
small pinch of cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp ginger
1/3 c nondairy milk mixed with
1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or vegan oil)
1 Tbsp molasses (I like blackstrap)
1/4 c warm water
crushed pecans (optional)

1.  mix dry ingredients together and mix well, removing clumps.
2. begin heating a griddle or a skillet.
3. mix nondairy milk and vinegar together, set aside.  mix wet ingredients together, including milk and pour into dry ingredients.  DON'T over mix.  Stir just enough so most clumps are removed.
4. ladle out 4 pancakes on a griddle or skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes on med/med-high heat (depending on burner) on each side.
5.  to serve, sprinkle nuts on (if you like) and pour maple syrup over, with a side of eggs & brekkie meat or the vegan alternatives.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment