Thursday, June 20, 2013

Bits and Bobs Stir Fry

This week, my dinner idea was a failure.  I've been finding more and more foods that I find difficult to digest, so when a recipe called for thawed, shelled Edamame (soy beans), I just went with it.  Oh, did I pay for it.  The recipe didn't say to cook it, so I didn't.  Never again.

So I had to come up with something with left over veggies sitting in the fridge.  Mushrooms, zucchini, half a red onion.... those blasted edamame.  There was only one solution: Stir Fry!
I got creative and used nuts for texture and some raisins for a sweet surprise.  It turned out much better than I thought.  You can experiment with your own levels.  That's the great thing about stir fry and cooking, it's about having fun!

Bits and Bobs Stir Fry
serves 2 or 1 very hungry vegan

1 small zucchini, diced into 1/2 in. squares (or to your liking)
half a small red onion, sliced thin
10-12 oz of mushrooms, halved or quartered
5-6 oz of shelled edamame, steamed or microwaved (follow package instructions)
1 suggested serving of Daiya cheese (optional, but I find the creaminess adds a lot)
1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 c almonds, roughly chopped (optional)
1/4 c raisins (optional)

1.  Prep all the veggies and ingredients.  The stir frying bit comes together pretty fast.
2.  Pour/spray some oil into a skillet (or just throw a couple Tbsp of water if you prefer) on med-high and fry up the onions until translucent.  Then add the mushrooms, cooking until just softened.  Season here, with salt and pepper.
3.  Add zucchini, edamame, nutritional yeast, and almonds.  Adjust seasoning if necessary.  Cook for 1-2 minutes, just until cheese is beginning to melt, and transfer to a plate/bowl.
4.  Add raisins.  Enjoy!

I find that eating this dish with something tart, like pickles, adds punch, as the vinegar revives your tastebuds in between bites (although the sweet, crunchy, savory mix really doesn't let your tastebuds get bored). :)
Try mixing and matching other veggies: green/red peppers, eggplant, squash (I would omit the raisins, unless you like sweet dishes), and roots like potatoes or yams for more starch.  Play with your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment