Sunday, June 9, 2013

Easy After Party Egg Rolls

My band played a show last night and it was great.  With old friends and new friends hanging out and having a good time, what more could be better?  Well, if you have to get up early the next day, you don't want to go to the store the night before and I was tired!  But since I'm a vegan, I have to make everything from scratch, especially if you want to save some money.  So looking at my pantry, I tried to satisfy my chinese food craving (but didn't want to suffer the calories) and created the following.  I never thought I'd be able to create some thing this tasty but there you go.  Necessity really is the mother of invention.
I had watched an episode of Unique Eats where one of the food trucks in Portland made dumplings that were stuffed with American comfort food favorites, like the hamburger.  So, using the vegan veggie patties that were in the freezer, the rice egg roll wrappers I hadn't used in FOREVER, and some random veggies in the fridge, I created the following.

*Note: these are gluten free because I use large vietnamese rice paper wrappers (you could find them nowadays in Asian sections of grocery stores), but if you only have wheat on hand, It won't matter.  you'll just have to cook them a little longer in the pan.
**If you have non-vegan guests, just use regular hamburger!  That's the beauty of this recipe, you can adapt it to the consumer's desire. :)
***Also, if you have any vegan (or regular) cheese, try putting it in!
****If you don't have Ginger and Orange Marmalade, using plain Orange Marmalade is fine.

Easy (lazy) Egg Rolls
serves 2 as appetizers OR 1 large meal

3 veggie patties, thawed and cut into 1/2 in. strips
6 rice wrappers
3 cabbage leaves, de-veined and julienned
1 small-medium carrot, julienned
1/4 c thinly sliced onion (about 1/2 a small onion)

sauce:
1 Tbsp ginger & orange marmalade (I used St. Dalfour's)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce OR tamari OR Bragg's Liquid Aminos

utensils needed:
2 plates
1 pie pan or a wide & shallow dish

1.  Pour very hot water into pie pan.  get an assembly line arranged for fast assembly.
2.  Dip a rice wrapper into the water.  let it sit for about 1-2 min. until it gets soft.
Carefully spread onto a plate, and about 1/3 way up from the bottom of the wrapper (closest to you) stack the pattie and veggies up nice and tight.
Then gently, but tightly, fold the bottom flap over the stack, tuck the sides in, and roll it up. place finished egg roll on a clean plate.  Try not to let the egg rolls touch; rice wrappers tend to stick easily.
3.  Repeat for the rest.
4.  In a skillet or saucepan on med-high, pour or spray some oil in pan, and fry up the egg rolls on each side (about 2 min. each)
5.  Make the dipping sauce, and enjoy!

I have to say, the dipping sauce was a surprise.  I didn't think it would be so good!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment