Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Quick Chocolate Fix!

I am on a mission to try and keep myself from sweets.  Like many people with an undeniable sweet tooth, this is very difficult, especially with the plethora of desserts and candy bars available in our mass-consumption society.  Aside from the processed sugars and all the health stuff that you hear Dr. Oz and other medical practitioners preaching consistently, it's just so darn addictive and a hard habit to cut!  So~ the alternative, not just for vegans but for anyone who's trying to be "good" this year, is to cut down or to eat your sweets in a healthier fashion. 
Enter one of my favorite cookies:  the no-bake cookie.  Makes any lazy moment and very few ingredients (not to mention a hot summer day) a breeze and a sweet indulgence. 

My first no-bake cookie experience was in my college cafeteria, where an oaty, chocolatey, peanut buttery no bake cookie stared me in the face and I could not resist!  After the first bite, it was bliss.  So, when I found ohsheglows' author, Angela Liddon's recipe, I was well excited!  I have modified her recipe by doubling the batch, reducing the sugar content, added a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness, and also some peanut butter, because I can't live without a spoon of peanut butter every day!  :) 

No-Bake Cookies (modified from ohsheglows' Frosty No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies)

1 c rolled oats
(**I didn't have rolled oats so I used puff rice cereal, and that worked well too!  add the 1c and add more if needed)
1/2 c vegan chocolate chips
1 large banana
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
2 tsp cocoa powder
scant pinch of salt
1-2 Tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy but any will do)

1.  prepare a tray or a plate that's freezer safe and line with parchment paper.
2.  melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time.  stir to melt chocolate.  repeat if necessary.  mash banana. 
2.  mix all ingredients except oats together, and when mixed well, add in oats. 
3.  spoon or use an ice cream scoop (may need greasing) to lay out on tray.  freeze for at least an hour or until set. 
Enjoy! 

I will warn:  my recipe does not solidify as well as Angela's.  I believe that's due to the added ingredients.  It still holds its shape, and even when left out for hours, it's like a soft, very gently melted candy bar.  It won't last that long anyway, you'll have consumed it before long. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment