Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Way To Cure Bean-Hate

Okay.  So a friend of mine heard that beans were in the black bean brownies I made this weekend and cringed.  I can honestly say that I did the same thing when I heard of this newfangled notion.  Beans & Chocolate?  Pshaw!  But, I am now a firm convert to the fiberous joys of fudgy, peanut-buttery (yes, you heard me right!) chocolate black bean brownies! 
There are many versions out there now, but I got a little creative and just put this together with ingredients I had on hand in my pantry.  Originally, the recipe I go to (Happy Herbivore's) calls for 2 bananas, but my friend commented that it was too, "Banana-y," for him, so I adjusted one banana for dates and applesauce.  If you don't like dates (as I used to be a firm hater of), then you can replace them with another brown banana or 1/4-1/2 c of raw sugar.  Whichever you like best. 

Peanut Buttery Black Bean Brownies
(*NOTE: as this is a healthy alternative, there are no added sugars, and these brownies tend to come out on the not so sweet side.  As mentioned above, if you desire more sweet, as this is a dessert, then please adjust as mentioned)

Ingredients for brownies:
5 medjool dates, seeded
1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
1 very ripe banana
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/4 c rolled instant oats
1 T peanut butter

topping:
1/4 c pb
1 generous T raw honey

preheat oven to 350.  lightly spray/grease a 8x8 pan. 
1.  puree dates in a food processor/high speed blender until pulverized.  add in all ingredients except the oats and blend until well incorporated.  mix in the oats. 
2.  spread into the baking pan and bake for 30-40 min. or until the center comes out clean (if it's a little under done, it'll be a bit more fudgy, but that's all about personal preference :) 
3.  while baking, make peanut butter topping/frosting.  mix the honey and the peanut butter until thick.  (if you like lots of peanut butter, you can double or quadruple the recipe!)
when the brownies are out and have cooled down a bit, spread the topping on the brownies and devour! 

What brownie is your favorite?  If you have any favorite brownie suggestions or recipes, please feel free to share.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment