Saturday, April 13, 2013

Random Salad with My Mom's Barbeque Sauce

I've been studying all day, and haven't had the motivation (or the time) to go to the store to restock the bare shelves.  Every week, I try to only go to the store once (or make all the trips in 1 go), and eat whatever I have for that week.  By today, I had some salad greens, a couple of tomatoes, a grapefruit and a small squash. I did have some left over chimichurri tempeh from the week's meals, and a block of tofu.  This had to last me for the rest of the weekend.  Four meals with this?  So, after polishing off some of it for lunch today, I decided to get creative.  I first pressed the extra firm tofu to remove more moisture, and then sliced them into thick slabs of tofu steaks, and marinated them in my mom's barbeque sauce.  Then, I took half of a grapefruit and threw slices and chunks onto a bed of greens and sprinkled some dried cranberries atop.  I made sure I had all the juice from the grapefruit on the greens as well (because I don't use dressing on my salads).  Then, I sprinkled a light dust of cinnamon, topped it all off with grilled BBQ tofu, and voila! a dinner to satisfy the vegan gourmet palate.  For more texture, add a sprinkle of either crisp noodles or your favorite seed (like pumpkin or sunflower) and it will be divine.

Mom's BBQ Sawce

your favorite vegan BBQ sauce (I used Wegman's Organic)
Korean red pepper paste (gochujang)
several cloves of garlic, minced

1.  This recipe is simple: 3 parts BBQ sauce to 1 part red pepper paste.  (if you like it spicier, make it 2:1).  Add in the minced garlic, give it a good stir, and you're laughin'!

*what's great about this sauce is that the sugar in the BBQ sauce carmelizes when you grill it, so remember, that's what you want!
**Remember, if you're going to make the tofu, to press it before hand so that you get a meatier tofu texture.  You can try this on tempeh or whatever other vegan meat you like.

 Random Salad
(makes 2 very large portions or 4 side salad portions)

a VERY large handful of your favorite (or left over) salad greens (I used organic field greens)
half a grapefruit, sliced and roughly torn with fingers (remember to save juices!)
some dried cranberries (optional)
some pepitas or pumpkin seeds (optional)
1/2 tsp or so of a light dusting of cinnamon over salad

1.  layer salad together, top with BBQ tofu, and done!


No comments:

Post a Comment