Sunday, April 7, 2013

Banana Ice Cream

So~ I love ice cream.  Who doesn't?  But my recent health problems have kept me from being able to eat the delicious vegan coconut ice cream I've come to love (SHOUT OUT TO Luna & Larry's Ginger Caramel!), so I've had to sit with a sad face until I saw Banana Soft Serve mentioned on ohsheglows' blog.  Why didn't I think of that!  So when the munchies hit tonight, I definitely put my vitamix to good use and did the following.  You can adjust the recipe to what you like, but remember: get CREATIVE!
For example: Mocha Ice cream (a shot of cold espresso with cocoa powder) or Jamoca Almond (mocha ice cream with almond butter or crushed almonds mixed in), or how about Pistachio flavor!  Below is the most basic, classic recipe: Chocolate!

Chocolate Banana Soft Serve
adapted/inspired by ohsheglows

2 frozen bananas
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional, *if allergic, make sure extract is gluten free)
1/4 c cocoa powder (raw cocoa powder if you're trying to go as raw as possible)
1+ Tbsp maple syrup (more if you like sweet ice cream)
1/4+ c non dairy milk (to help it along, the measurement will depend on how dry or stiff the mix looks)

1.  Blend everything in the processor.   You are going to have to scrape down the sides a couple times to help it along the way.

and voila!

add in ideas:
peanut butter/almond butter
cocao nibs (i totally added a whole bunch in for that added crunch)
fruit (if you're a choco and fruit kind of person)
maple cream
cookie bits/cookie dough

the options are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment