Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Beat Spring by Juicing!

My roommate and I have been juicing a LOT since I purchased a Vitamix.  I just have to say that WE ARE IN LOVE.  How did we ever live without one in the past?  Why was I so deprived and uneducated?  It is pitiful how empty my life (and my digestive tract) was previous to my juicing splurge.
So I thought I'd share two great recipes.  Actually I really don't like health drinks, and believe it or not, I grew up on fast food and junk, so the fact that I'm a vegan and a health nut is definitely a miracle from God (do you hear the angels' chorus?).  :)  I don't really suggest anyone make this unless they have a good quality, high speed blender because regular kitchen blenders don't break down the veggies enough to create a smooth consistency that's palatable (even for the toughest green drink consumer).  Also, some recipes all for protein powder to be added, but I highly DISCOURAGE this!  The result is grainy and makes me want to gag (and I personally pride myself on having a high gross-tasting-but-good-for-you food tolerance).  Seriously though, after you go a week or two (or the rest of your life!) drinking such drinks, you'll feel like you could do anything.  Be Superman/woman!

*Note:  I buy organic produce and just wash the produce, leaving on the skin on the veggies whenever I can, but you can peel all the skin off of your veggies if you like :)

Green Juicing Drink
(adapted from ohsheglows' Green Monster)

2 c kale, roughly chopped
1 whole english cuke, peeled, seeded and chopped into large chunks
1 c pineapple
1-2 tsp ginger, peeled and diced small
1 large sweet apple, chopped
1 banana (optional)

1.  in blender, start either by pulsing or on a low setting.  push down the veggies to get them going.  when all the veggies are blending without your help, turn up the speed gradually (on a Vitamix, start at 1, work your way up to a 4) and blend until desired consistency.


The next drink is great for naturally beating allergies that come every Spring because pineapples and berries have natural antihistamines (or so I've been told), but won't make you drowsy!  Ginger helps with digestion and is great for your immune system helping to fight colds, so chug this ruby red baby down if you want to keep any sniffles away!

Red Juicing Drink

1 beet, scrubbed and chopped
1 medium carrot, scrubbed and chopped
1.5 c pineapple
5-6 strawberries
1 tsp ginger, diced small
1 while english cuke, peeled, seeded and chopped into large chunks

1.  follow instructions for green drink

Now, go and save the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment